Mamasylum - Because we all feel like being institutionalized at some point.

Staying Sane

June 24, 2013

Define Crazy

When I sit down to write a blog, I think I know the direction it’s going to go.

Scraps of inspiration

Scraps of inspiration

Sometimes, I jot down ideas on the back of a receipt, to-do list, or whatever scrap of paper I have in my purse. Then when I get to my computer, it’s just a matter of deciphering my writing and filling in the idea. Other times, I have the essence of the blog in my head and hope I get to my computer quickly. After all, that idea could escape my brain along with the reason why I walked into a room.

Then there are the times the inspiration is right next to me. Last night my kidlet asked what I was going to write. I told her it was going to be about how I need to start saying no to people. This is the conversation that ensued.

A: “But isn’t it a good thing to help people?”

Me: “Definitely, but if I say yes to too many things, it makes me go crazy and it’s not fair to you and Daddy.”

A: “You don’t act crazy.”

Me: “Really?!”

A: “No. Besides, is crazy a bad thing?”

Me: (something to the effect of) “Uh. Uh. Um.”

PROS

She knows it’s good to help people.

She doesn’t think I’m crazy. Yay!

I must be really good at hiding my craziness or maybe I’m not crazy.

CONS

The poor dear has no point of reference for craziness.

I have to define good and bad crazy.

Do we save for college or therapy?

**************************************************

Shannon is the stay-at-home Mama of one. But don’t ask her what she does all day. Between volunteering in the PTA, coaching volleyball, gardening, carpooling, writing (cheap therapy), and the business of everyday life, she has one foot in and the other out of the Mamasylum. She loves visitors, so get a day pass and visit her at www.mamasylum.com or www.facebook.com/mamasylum

1. I really love this post! As a mom you’ve done your job when your child knows how to celebrate diversity. Maybe in her mind crazy is just … different?

Comment by Judith Cassis — June 24, 2013 @ 5:40 pm
  2. Thanks, Judith! I’m going to embrace that definition. Crazy is just different :))

Comment by Mamasylum — June 24, 2013 @ 5:48 pm
  3. Well, I agree with you. You need to learn to say NO and you are a little bit crazy – that’s why I like you. Instead of saying NO (which is very hard for some people) do what Oprah taught you and say “that’s not going to work for me”. Maybe that will be easier? If Oprah says it is it must be true.

Comment by Julie — June 24, 2013 @ 6:05 pm
  4. Think of how strong you will make her if she thinks crazy is normal! She will have amazing people skills! But, you’re right, you do have to say no or you’ll go off the deep end. Maybe you just have to get a bit bitchier and then you won’t get asked so much.

Comment by Mirissa — June 24, 2013 @ 8:35 pm
  5. Mirissa – Love how you say bitchIER 😉 So I need to work on my anti-people skills …

Comment by Mamasylum — June 24, 2013 @ 9:48 pm
  6. Lol! I didn’t mean it like that. I was thinking of the raced Juanita posted on fb about being half a bitch 🙂

Comment by Mirissa — June 24, 2013 @ 10:39 pm
  7. I’ll accept your explanation. I thought you were still mad I haven’t given you a bday present yet 😉

Comment by Mamasylum — June 25, 2013 @ 3:47 am
  8. You crack me up. When are we going to get together and have some talk therapy? Julie should be picking up a cot from me this week. Maybe the three of us cold get together.

Comment by Mirissa — June 25, 2013 @ 5:25 am